Utah’s first food truck arrived in 2010, and since then the field has grown exponentially, fueled by social media, which is how fans find new trucks and follow favorites.
Maybe the best indicator of the phenomenon is the number of food truck events that now take place across the valley, from the Thursday Food Truck Rally at Salt Lake City’s Gallivan Center to the success of the Soho Food Park in Holladay, Utah.
City laws, however, can have a dramatic effect on food truck mobility. Some communities put food trucks in the same permit category as fireworks stands; other cities have banned food trucks altogether; still others have created proximity rules to prevent food trucks from operating too close to brick-and-mortar restaurants.
Now, Utah food truck business owners are being helped to expand and from having to obtain several permits and licenses from several jurisdictions.
- Learn about cross contamination, cold and hot food safety, best practices for personal hygiene, and foodborne illnesses.
- Food Manager ANSI Certification: SALE $99.00 - Valid in all States
- Food Handler ANSI Training for only $7.00!
- Enter Promo "train10off" at Checkout
Legislation would streamline “burdensome” truck licensing, allow expansion.
Sen. Deidre Henderson, R-Spanish Fork, is sponsoring the bill and said the “regulatory requirements that vary from city to city are just too burdensome for food trucks.”
The purpose of the bill is to help food truck business owners expand and prevent them from having to obtain several permits and licenses from several jurisdictions.
The ability to have mobile food vendors register in one city, be inspected by one health department and have it recognized universally across the state would relieve food trucks of the most significant regulatory pressure they face.
Utah Food Trucks Additional Info:
- Salt Lake Tribune: Lawmaker wants to remove regulatory roadblocks for Utah food truck: Published Feb 24 2017
- Salt Lake Tribune: Utah food trucks rally to streamline business regulations: Published Sep 27 2016